Place:


Thorpe Hesley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thorpe Hesley like this:

THORPE-HESLEY, a chapelry in Rotherham, Wath-upon-Dearne, and Ecclesfield parishes, W. R. Yorkshire; near Rotherham r. station. It was constituted in 1841. Post town, Rotherham. Pop., 1,966. Houses, 407. There are collieries; and bolts, screws, and nails are made. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £210.* Patron, the Countess of Effingham. The church is good; and there are three Methodist chapels.

Thorpe Hesley through time

Thorpe Hesley is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thorpe Hesley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thorpe Hesley, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24892

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thorpe Hesley ".