Place:


Batley Carr  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Batley Carr like this:

BATLEY-CARR, a hamlet and a chapelry in Batley and Dewsbury parishes, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet stands ¾ of a mile S of Batley, and has a post office under Dewsbury. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Rated property, £6,505. Pop., 3,859. Houses, 796. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Batley

Batley Carr through time

Batley Carr is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Batley Carr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Batley Carr, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24811

Date accessed: 25th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Batley Carr ".