Place:


Long Marton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Marton like this:

MARTON (LoNG), a township and a parish in East Ward district, Westmoreland. The township lies on Trout beck, an affluent of the river Eden, 1½ mile ESE of Kirkby-Thore r. station, and 3½ NW by N of Appleby; and contains the village of Brampton-Croft's End. The parish includes also the townships of Brampton and Knock; and its Post town is Kirkby-Thore, under Penrith. ...


Acres, 3,200. Real property of Long Marton and Knock townships, £3,402; of which £18 are in mines. Rated property of the entire parish, £5,182. Pop., 762. Houses, 154. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale and Sir Richard Tufton, Bart. Part of the land is Moor. A vein of iron ore was discovered near Brampton in 1864. The mining T of lead ore is carried on by a London company. he living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £480. * Patron, Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The church is ancient but good, with a tower, and has a handsome memorial window in the E end. There are a Wesley.an chapel, a good parochial school with a small endowment, and charities £8.

Long Marton through time

Long Marton is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Marton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Marton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2461

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Marton ".