In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tipton St John like this:
TIPTON, a chapelry in Ottery-St. Mary parish, Devon; 2 miles S of Ottery-St. Mary r. station. It was constituted in 1841; and it has a post-office under Exeter. Pop., 470. Houses, 100. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £57.* Patron, the Vicar of Ottery. The church is good.
Additional information about this locality is available for Ottery St Mary
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tipton St John has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tipton St John and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tipton St John in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tipton St John".