Place:


Hatch  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hatch like this:

HATCH, a hamlet in Kingston upon Thames parish, Surrey; adjacent to Ham, 2 miles N of Kingston. The national orphan home for girls, established in 1849, and rebuilt in 1862, is here, and has accommodation for 200 inmates.

The name "Hatch" has not been found on a topographic map, and the location is based on that of the National Orphan Home for girls/females, mentioned by the Imperial Gazetteer and shown on the 1898/9 1:10,560 map as viewable on Landmark Information's Old Maps web site (http://www.old-maps.co.uk, accessed 3/9/2011). Additional information about this locality is available for Ham

Hatch through time

Hatch is now part of Richmond upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmond upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hatch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hatch, in Richmond upon Thames and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24189

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hatch ".