In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawkchurch like this:
HAWKCHURCH, a village and a parish in the district of Axminster and county of Dorset. The village stands near the boundary with Devon, the river Axe, and the Yeovil and Exeter railway, 3¼ miles NE by E of Axminster; and has a post office under Axminster. The parish comprises the tythings of Wyldecourt and Phillyholme. ...
Acres, 4, 130. Real property, £4, 736. Pop., 705. Houses, 151. The manor belonged to Cerne abbey; and was given, at the dissolution, to John Leigh. Lambert's Castle Hill rises to an altitude of about 990 feet; and has traces of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £600.* Patron, the Rev. E. Cay Adams. The church was rebuilt in 1862, on the site and after the model of a previous one; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with vestry, porch, and tower; and shows different styles in good amalgamation-the nave, Norman, the aisles and chancel, decorated English, the tower, perpendicular English.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawkchurch, in East Devon and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawkchurch ".