Place:


Addiscombe  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Addiscombe like this:

ADDISCOMBE, a locality 1¼ mile E of Croydon, with a post office under that town, in Surrey. an edifice here, within a pleasant small park, was built by Vanburgh, inhabited by the Herons, Lord Chancellor Talbot, Lord Liverpool, and the Clarkes, purchased in 1812 by the East India Company, and made a military college for their cadets. The estate was sold, in 1861, for £33,600 to the British Land Company.

Addiscombe through time

Addiscombe is now part of Croydon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Croydon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Addiscombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Addiscombe, in Croydon and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23518

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Addiscombe ".