Place:


Steep  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Steep like this:

STEEP, a village in Petersfield district, Hants, and a parish partly also in Midhurst district, Sussex. The village stands 1½ mile NNW of Petersfield r. station: and the Hants portion of the parish around it comprises 2,641 acres. The Sussex portion consists of North Ambersham and South Ambersham tythings, and comprises 1,618 acres. ...


Post town of the whole, Petersfield. Real property, £5,638. Pop., 903. Houses, 192. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, annexed to East Meon. The church was restored in 1840 There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.

Steep through time

Steep is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Steep itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Steep, in East Hampshire and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2331

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Steep ".