Place:


West Gorton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Gorton like this:

GORTON (West), a chapelry in Gorton township, Lancashire; constituted in 1865. It contains the Bellevue gardens, and has a post-office under Manchester. reading room s, and a Franciscan convent. Pop., 4, 305. The living is a rectory. The church was built in 1866, and is in the early English style.

The location is where the name "West Gorton" appears on modern 1:25,000 maps.

West Gorton through time

West Gorton is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Gorton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Gorton, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22750

Date accessed: 16th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Gorton ".