In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Borth like this:
BORTH, a village, a small watering-place, in Cyfoethy-Brenin township, Cardigan; adjacent to the Newtown and Aberystwith railway, 8 miles NNE of Aberystwith. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Shrewsbury. It stands close to the sea; and consists of a street of mean white houses. Sandy beaches, called Borth sands, extend 4 miles from its vicinity northward to the estuary of the Dovey; and are overlooked by cliffs, commanding splendid sea-views.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Borth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Borth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Borth, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Borth".