Place:


Otterswick  Orkney

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Otterswick like this:

Otterswick, a bay on the NE side of Sanday island, Orkney. It was originally called Odinswic, and is traditionally believed to occupy the site of a wooded plain, which was overwhelmed by the sea. Opening from the NE, it looks across North Ronaldshay Firth to North Ronaldshay island; penetrates 57/8 miles south-westward, in a manner to cut the northern part of Sanday into two peninsulas; measures 4 miles across the entrance; and tapers gradually towards a point. ...


Its shores are low, and subject to inundation in easterly gales at spring tides; and it affords safe anchorage for vessels of any size, and contains a vast abundance of shell-fish.

Otterswick through time

Otterswick is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Otterswick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Otterswick in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22379

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Otterswick ".