Place:


Jamestown  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Jamestown like this:

Jamestown, a small town in Bonhill parish, Dumbartonshire, on the left bank of the river Leven, 6½ furlongs N of Bonhill town. It shares in the busy industry of the Vale of Leven, and has a post office, a station on the Forth and Clyde Junction section of the North British, a quoad sacra parochial church, and a public school. ...


The church, erected in 1869 at a cost of £3000, in the Early English style, after designs by Clark & Bell of Glasgow, has a nave and aisles, 800 sittings, a spire 130 feet high, and a large W window, with mullions and elaborate tracery. The quoad sacra parish, constituted in 1873, is in the presbytery of Dumbarton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr; its minister's stipend is £330. Pop. of town (1861) 869, (1871) 1163, (1881) 2171; of q. s. parish (1881) 2925.—Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.

Jamestown through time

Jamestown is now part of West Dunbartonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dunbartonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Jamestown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Jamestown in West Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22168

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Jamestown ".