Place:


Dundurcas  Moray

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dundurcas like this:

Dundurcus, an ancient parish on the E border of Elginshire, on both sides of the river Spey, 6 ½ miles SSW of Fochabers. It was suppressed in 1782 or 1788, when the part of it on the right side of the Spey, excepting the small property of Aikenway, was annexed to Boharm; whilst that on the left side, together with Aikenway, was annexed to Rothes. ...


The portion of it adjacent to the river is a beautiful haugh, and bears the name of Dundurcus Vale. Its church and burying-ground were situated on the verge of a plateau overlooking the haugh, 2 miles NE of Rothes village; and the church still exists in a state of ruin; while the burying-ground was re-enclosed, about 1835, with a subtantial wall.

Dundurcas through time

Dundurcas is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dundurcas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dundurcas in Moray | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22082

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dundurcas ".