Place:


Sutton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton like this:

SUTTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ely district, Cambridge. The village stands at the terminns of the Ely and Sutton railway, 6 miles W by S of Ely; occupies an eminence, with a commanding view; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a post-office‡ under Ely, and a r. ...


station. The parish comprises 6,970 acres-Real property, £17,219. Pop., 1,731. Houses, 385. Saxon coins, rings, and silver plates were found in 1654. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £1,175.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church is of the 14th century; and has a pinnacled tower, with conical spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school.—The sub-district contains two parishes, parts of six others, and an extra-parochial tract. Pop., 4,025. Houses, 895.

Sutton through time

Sutton is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2205

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton ".