Place:


Ousby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ousby like this:

OUSBY, or Ulfsby, a village and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The village stands on an affluent of the river Eden, 2 miles W of the Maiden way, 2½ N W of the boundary with Westmoreland, 4½ W of the summit of Crossfell, 5 N by E of Temple-Sowerby r. station, and 8½ E N E of Penrith; is said to have taken its name from Ulff, a Dane who anciently held the property aroundit; is now commonly called Ousbyshire; and is a smalland straggling place. ...


The parish contains also the hamlets of Bradley, Fell-Side, and the Row; and its post town is Melmerby, under Penrith. Acres, 6,000. Real property, £2, 623. Pop., 294. Houses, 58. The property is divided among a few. Much of the surface is monutainons and waste; and much of the cultivated land suffers injury to its crops from very high winds, rushingdown from the gorges of the mountains. Limestone and sandstone abound; and small seams of coal and veins oflead occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £353.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient; was repaired in 1859: has a bell-turret; and contains a piscina, three sedilia, and a wooden effigies of a knight. There are a national school with £50 a year from endowment, and charities £3. Robinson, the antiquary, and Bishop Heming wererectors.

Ousby through time

Ousby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ousby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ousby, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2192

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ousby ".