Place:


Burgh by Sands  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burgh By Sands like this:

BURGH-BY-SANDS, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the Roman wall and on the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 2 miles S of the influx of the Eden to the Solway Frith, and 5¼ NW by W of Carlisle; and has a station, of the name of Burgh, on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Burgh-by-Sands, under Carlisle. ...


The Roman station Axelodunum is believed by many antiquaries to have been here; some traces either of that station or of the Roman wall can still be seen; and a number of Roman urns, altars, and inscribed stones have been found. A castle also was erected here soon after the Conquest; captured, in 1174, by William the Lion of Scotland; and committed, in 1253, to the keeping of Stephen Longespec; but has disappeared. Real property, £2,851. Pop., 460. Houses, 106. The parish contains also the townships of Longburgh, Bonstead-Hill, and Moor-House. Acres, 7,839; of which 2,478 are water. Real property, £7,048. Pop., 986. Houses, 215. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the De Morvilles; was given to the Abbey of Holme-Cultram; passed to the Multores, the Dacres, and the Howards; and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. The tract upon the Solway has, in recent times, been encroached on by the sea; and is protected by embankments. The parish was the scene, in old times, especially in 1216 and 1520, of many encounters between the English and the Scots; and a spot in it, about a mile N of the village, was the death place of Edward I. An obelisk, commemorative of this event, was built on the spot, in 1685, by the Duke of Norfolk; fell down in 1795; and was rebuilt, in 1805. by the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £120.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a Norman door and a castellated tower; was constructed as much for military defence as for public worship; and is still in good condition. Charities, £10.-The subdistrict contains four parishes. Acres, 11,249. Pop., 1,493. Houses, 317.

Burgh by Sands through time

Burgh By Sands is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burgh By Sands itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burgh by Sands, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2173

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burgh By Sands ".