Place:


Strone  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Strone like this:

Strone, a modern watering-place in Kilmun parish, Argyllshire, at the headland of Strone Point, which projects sharply between the mouth of Holy Loch and that of Loch Long, 6½ miles WNW of Greenock, and 7 furlongs N of Hunter's Quay. Extending along the shore of Holy Loch, it chiefly consists of a chain of villas and cottages ornees; commands superb views of the scenery of Holy Loch and the Firth of Clyde; vies in general attraction with the best and newest of the seabathing resorts of the Glasgow citizens; communicates several times a day by well-appointed steamers with Greenock and Glasgow; and has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a good hotel, a steamboat pier, an iron public hall (1872; 400 sitings), a quoad sacra parochial church, an'Alliance' church, and a public school. ...


The quoad sacra parish, constituted in 1884, is in the presbytery of Dunoon and the synod of Argyll. Pop. of village, together with Blairmore, (1881) 539.—Ord. Sur., sh. 29, 1873.

Strone through time

Strone is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Strone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Strone in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21654

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Strone ".