Place:


Netherby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Netherby like this:

NETHERBY, a township in Arthuret parish, Cumberland; on the river Esk and the North British railway, adjacent to the boundary with Scotland, 2¾ miles N by E of Longtown. Acres, 8, 873. Real property, £3, 251. Pop., 395. Houses, 47. The Roman station Castra Exploratorum was here, on the Roman way from Bewcastle; but is now nearly obliterated. ...


Netherby Hall is the seat of Sir F. U. Graham, Bart.; and contains a rich collection of Roman altars, tablets, baths, coins, and other relics found in the vicinity. The Netherby estate belonged to the Stotevilles; passed, through the Wakes, the Duchy of Lancaster, the Cliffords, and others, to the Grahams; extended along the Esk to theamount of about 30,000 acres; included a considerableportion, now drained and cultivated, of the Solway moss; and figures in the well-known ballad, " There was mounting 'mong Graemes of the Netherby clan." The Longtown workhouse is in N. township; and, at the census of 1861, had 72 inmates.

Netherby through time

Netherby is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Netherby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Netherby, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21557

Date accessed: 12th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Netherby ".