In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milford like this:
MILFORD, a village and a chapelry in Witley parish, Surrey. The village stands adjacent to the Guildford, Godalming, and Portsmouth railway, 1½ mile SS W of Godalming; and has a station on the railway, and a postoffice under Godalming. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 717. Houses, 142. The property is divided among a few. Milford House, Mousehill Manor House, and Milford Cottage are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Valne, £90.* Patron, the Rev. J. Chandler. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Milford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Waverley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Milford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milford, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Milford".