Place:


Malltraeth  Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Malltraeth like this:

MALLTRAETH, a hundred in the middle of the S of Anglesey; containing Aberffraw parish and seven. there parishes. Acres, 28,156. Pop. in 1851,6,317; in 1861,4,711. Houses, 1,070. The river Cefni flows along the E boundary, and terminates in a wide and long expanse of marsh and foreshore, called Malltraeth sands. The marsh has a desolate appearance; but has, too some extent, been drained and embanked; and is crossed by a viaduct of the Chester and Holyhead railway.

Malltraeth through time

Malltraeth is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Malltraeth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Malltraeth in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20790

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Malltraeth ".