In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martinstley like this:
MARTINSLEY, a hundred in Rutland; bounded, on the N and the W, by Alstoe and Oakham-soke,-on the S and the E, by Wrangdike and East; and containing ten parishes, and part of another. Acres, 14,216. Pop. in 1851,4,258; in 1861,4,431. Houses, 874.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Martinstley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rutland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Martinstley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martinstley in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Martinstley".