Place:


Shaw  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shaw like this:

SHAW, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Beal, near the Oldham and Rochdale railway, 2½ miles N N E of Oldham; is a large place, with well edificed and well-paved streets; presents a neat and clean appearance; carries on industry in cotton mills and in other establishments; and has a post-office‡ under Oldham, and a r.station with telegraph. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 3, 618. Houses, 767. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. A new church, to be in the early decorated style, and to cost about £7, 500, was founded in 1869. There is a national school.

Shaw through time

Shaw is now part of Oldham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oldham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shaw, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20440

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shaw ".