Place:


Notting Hill  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Notting Hill like this:

NOTTING-HILL, a quondam hamlet and five chapelries in Kensington parish, Middlesex. The quondamhamlet is now an edificed suburb of the metropolis; lies N of Kensington, and 4½ miles W of St. Paul's; includeswhat was once the manor of Knotting Bernes, belonginganciently to the De Veres; began to be edificed, in thesuburban fashion, in 1828; comprises Pembridge-gardens, Pembridge-crescent, Pembridge-square, Ladbroke-square, Stanley-terrace, Lansdowne crescent, Ladbroke-gardens, Chapel-terrace, Clarendon-road, and many otherwell-built and ornate places of pleasant appearance and fashionable character; contains also industrial dwellings, erected in 1866 for Sir S. ...


Morton Peto, Bart.; is traversed by a link of the Circular railway, called the Notting-Hill and Brompton Extension, commencing from the Metropolitan by the Edgeware-road, proceeding westward across Leinster-gardens by Moscow-road to Pembridge-square, turning there to the south, passing along Church-lane, crossing the Kensington-road to the Kensingtonworkhouse, and becoming identified there with the Metropolitan District railway; and has a station of the name of Notting-Hill between Westbourne-Park and Shepherds-Bush stations, a post-office‡ of the name of Notting-Hill, in High-street under London W, other post-offices‡ in Alexander-street, North Clarendon-road, Cornwall-road, Elgin-road, Ladbroke-grove, Ledbury-road, and Union-terrace-Norland-Town, under Notting-Hill, London W, and postal pillar-boxes in ten other places. The five chapelries are St. John, St. Peter, All Saints, St. Mark, and St. Andrew; and were constituted in 1845, 1857, 1861, 1863, and 1867. Pop. of St. John in 1861, 15, 662; of St. Peter, 6, 660. Houses, 1, 913 and 981. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of London. Value, not reported. Patron of St. John, the Bishop of London; of St. Peter, R. Martin, Esq.; of All Saints, Dr. Walker; of St. Mark, Miss Kaye. St. John's churchstands on the site of the Hippodrome; and is a cruciformstructure in the early English style, with a good spire. St. Peter's church is sometimes designated of Bays-water; was erected in 1857, after designs by T. Allom; and is in the classic style. All Saints' church was built in 1860, after designs by H. White; and is a handsome edifice, in the florid Gothic style. The iron church of St. Andrewwas built in 1863, at a cost of about £1, 650, for the accommodation of the Kensington Potteries; stood on Silchester-road; and was destroyed by fire in March 1867. An Independent chapel is at Horbury, was built in 1849, and is in the pointed style. Baptist chapels are in Westbourne-grove and Cornwall-road. A Wesleyan chapel bears the name of Nottingdale chapel; and another Wesleyan chapel stands in Chapel-terrace, isflanked by second-class dwelling-houses, and was built in 1858.

Notting Hill through time

Notting Hill is now part of Kensington and Chelsea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kensington and Chelsea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Notting Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Notting Hill, in Kensington and Chelsea and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20392

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Notting Hill ".