Place:


Blackheath  Kent

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Blackheath like this:

Blackheath, vil. with ry. sta., W. Kent, 7 miles SE. of London; P.O., 2 Banks. The heath, now confined to about 70 ac., has several historic scenes connected with it, among the most notable being the encampment of Wat Tyler and his followers (1381), and of Jack Cade in 1450; the defeat of the Cornishmen by the Earl of Oxford, &c. It is a great resort for pleasure parties, and commands fine views of the metropolis and banks of the Thames.

Blackheath through time

Blackheath is now part of Lewisham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewisham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackheath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackheath, in Lewisham and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20186

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackheath ".