In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horton like this:
HORTON, a township, three chapelries, and a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Bradford, W. R. Yorkshire. The township comprises the southwestern suburbs of Bradford; lies all within Bradford borough; extends 3 miles south-westward from the market place; is divided, for highway purposes, into the hamlets of Great H. and Little H.; and contains the villages of Lidget-Green and Scholes-Moor. Acres, 2, 070. Real property, £82, 971; of which £100 are in mines, and £150 in quarries. ...
Pop. in 1851, 28, 143; in 1861, 30, 189. Houses, 6, 391. The manor figured at Domesday as a berewick of the manor of Bradford; became afterwards a part of the estates of the Lacys, Earls of Lincoln; was given, in the time of Henry II., to Robert de Lacy, ancestor of the Horton family; passed afterwards through several families; and belongs now to Captain Rhys. Little Horton Hall was, for several centures, the residence of the distinguished family of Sharpe; belongs now to F. S. Powell, Esq.; and is an ancient mansion, with massive central tower and two wings. The woollen and cotton manufactures are extensively carried on; and a cattle fair is held at Great Horton on 5 Sept. The Bradford workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 355 inmates. The chapelries are Great Horton, Horton-All Saints, and Horton-St. James; and the last was constituted in 1842. The two first are p. curacies, the third a vicarage. Value of Great H., £330; * of H.All Saints, not reported; of H. ST. James, £250.* Patron of the first, the Vicar of Bradford; of the second, F. S. Powell, Esq.; of the third, J. Wood, Esq. The church of Great H. was built in 1807, as a chapel of ease, at a cost of £1, 200; and a new church, in room of it, was about to be built in 1866. The church of All Saints was completed in 1864, and is noticed in our article BRADFORD. There are several dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar school with £68 a year, another endowed school with £30, a mechanics' institute, and charities £60.The sub-district contains the townships of Horton and Manningham. Acres, 3, 365. Pop., 43, 078. Houses, 9, 070.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Horton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bradford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Horton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horton, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Horton".