Place:


Askham  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Askham like this:

ASKHAM, a township and a parish in West Ward district, Westmoreland. The township lies pleasantly on the Lowther river, opposite Lowther Castle, 2½ miles SW of Clifton r. station, and 5 S of Penrith; and it has a post office under Penrith. Real property, £1,822. Pop., 323. Houses, 67. ...


The parish-includes also the township of Helton. Acres, 4,327. Real property, £3,469. Pop., 503. Houses, 105. Askham manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale; and there is another manor. Askham Hall, on Askham manor, is a gloomy edifice of 1574, with embattled roof. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £180.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is good; and there are charities £21.

Askham through time

Askham is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Askham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Askham, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1994

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Askham ".