Place:


Worplesdon  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Worplesdon like this:

WORPLESDON, a parish in Guildford district, Surrey; 3 miles NNW of Guildford r. station. It contains four tythings, and part of Wyke chapelry; and it has a post-office under Guildford. Acres, 7,140. Real property, £8,457. Pop. in 1851, 1,549; in 1861, 1,753. Houses, 341. The increase of pop. ...


arose variously from proximity to Aldershot camp, from the operations of the Guildford and Reading railway, and from increase in the number of brick yards. The property is much sub-divided. W. and Burgham manors belong to Earl Onslow. A Roman pavement was found, in 1829, on Broad-Street Common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £708.* Patron, Eton College. The church is good; and a chapel of ease is in Burgham. Dr. Burton, the antiquary, was rector.

Worplesdon through time

Worplesdon is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Worplesdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Worplesdon, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1974

Date accessed: 17th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Worplesdon ".