Place:


Leigh  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leigh like this:

LEIGH, a village and a parish in Reigate district, Surrey. The village stands on an affluent of the river Mole, 3 miles SW of Reigate r. station; and has a postoffice under Reigate. The parish comprises 3,710 acres. Real property, £2,930. Pop., 506. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. ...


Leigh Place was the ancient seat of the Ardernes; belongs now to the Dendy family; has been much altered, yet retains features of antiquity; and is still engirt with a moat, crossed by narrow bridges. Mynthurst is the seat of J. W. Freshfield, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £146.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late R.Dendy, Esq. The church is later English; was recently restored; and contains fine brasses of the Ardernes. There are national schools. Ben Jonson is said to have been a resident.

Leigh through time

Leigh is now part of Mole Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mole Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leigh, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1957

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leigh ".