Place:


Sampford Spiney  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sampford Spiney like this:

SAMPFORD-SPINEY, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; on the W side of Dartmoor, 2¾ miles N E by E of Horrabridge r. station, and 4 E S E of Tavistock. It contains part of the village of Horrabridge, which has a head post-office, designated Horrabridge, Devon. Acres, 1, 721. Real property, £1, 983; of which £320 are in mines. ...


Pop., 565. Houses, 114. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. H. Parlby. The living is a p. curacy, united with Shaugh, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £161. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is pretty good. There is a charity school.

Sampford Spiney through time

Sampford Spiney is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sampford Spiney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sampford Spiney in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1930

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sampford Spiney ".