Place:


Cadbury  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cadbury like this:

CADBURY, a parish in Tiverton district, Devon; on the Rumansleigh ridge way, 5½ miles W by N of Hele r. station, and 6½ EN E of Crediton. Post Town, Cheriton-Fitzpaine, under Crediton. Acres, 1,899. Real property, £2,399. Pop., 241. Houses, 46. The property is divided among three. ...


The manor, with Fursdon House, belongs to E. Fursdon, Esq. Cadbury Castle is the remnant of an ancient earthwork; was the rendezvous of Fairfax's army on a day in 1645; and has yielded a quantity of antique ornaments. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £163.* Patron, Rev. F. J. Coleridge. The church is a substantial structure of the 15th century.

Cadbury through time

Cadbury is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cadbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cadbury in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1766

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cadbury ".