Place:


Vale of White Horse  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Vale of White Horse like this:

WHITE HORSE (Vale of the), the valley of the river Ock, in Berks; extending about 15 miles east-north-eastward, from the vicinity of Shrivenham, to the vicinity of Abingdon. It takes its name from the figure of a galloping horse, on the NW face of a chalk hill 893 feet high, and 4 miles SE of Shrivenham. ...


The figure is said to be a memorial of Ethelred and Alfred's victory of Æscendune; measures 374 feet in. length, and about an acre in superficies; can be seen, in favourable weather, at a distance of so much as 15 miles; undergoes a scouring, at an annual rustic festival, by the neighbouring inhabitants; and is the subject of a curious ballad in the Berkshire dialect. The hill is crowned by a large oval camp, and commands very fine views. Wayland Smith's cave, celebrated in Sir Walter Scott's "Kenilworth," is in the vicinity.

Vale of White Horse through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Vale of White Horse go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Vale of White Horse in Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17236

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Vale of White Horse ".