Place:


Tongue  Sutherland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tongue like this:

Tongue, par. and vil., on N. coast of Sutherland-par., 81,036 ac., pop. 1929; vil. (Tongue or Kirkiboll), on E. side of the Kyle of Tongue, 38½ miles N. of Lairg ry. sta. and 44 miles W. of Thurso; P.O., T.O.; is a resort of anglers. The Kyle of Tongue is a sea-loch,) miles long, and 5½ miles broad at the entrance.

Tongue through time

Tongue is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tongue itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tongue, in Highland and Sutherland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17159

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tongue ".