Place:


Dunfermline  Fife

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dunfermline like this:

Dunfermline, parl. and royal burgh, manufacturing town, and par., Fifeshire, 3 miles N. of Firth of Forth, 16 miles NW. of Edinburgh, 42 NE. of Glasgow, and 416 NW. of London -- par., 20,764 ac., pop. 26,568; royal burgh, pop. 19,915; parl. burgh and town, pop. 17,084; P.O., T.O., 5 Banks, 2 newspapers. ...


Market-day, Tuesday; has table linen mfrs., iron and brass foundries, soap-works, and dyeworks, and in the vicinity are extensive coal mines. Dunfermline was early a favourite residence of the Scottish kings; the Benedictine Abbey, founded by Malcolm Canmore (1070-1093), was their burial-place from the end of the llth to the middle of the 14th century; it is represented chiefly by the Abbey Church, underneath the pulpit of which are the remains of King Robert Bruce. The last royal occupant of the Palace was Charles II., who there signed the Solemn League and Covenant. Dunfermline unites with Stirling, Inverkeithing, Queensferry, and Culross in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Dunfermline through time

Dunfermline is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dunfermline itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunfermline in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17076

Date accessed: 20th May 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dunfermline ".