Place:


Port Glasgow  Renfrewshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Port Glasgow like this:

Port Glasgow, parl. and police burgh, seaport town, and par., Renfrewshire, on river Clyde, 2½ miles SE. of Greenock and 20 miles NW. of Glasgow by rail - par., 944 ac., pop. 10,913; parl. and police burgh (including part of Greenock East par.), pop. 13,224; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks, 1 newspaper. ...


Market-day, Friday. Port Glasgow was founded about the middle of the 17th century, and in 1710 became the principal custom-house port on the Clyde. The original graving dock, built in 1762, and superseded by a much larger one in 1873-1874, was the first of its kind in Scotland. The trade is principally with British North America and the West Indies. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Shipbuilding, ironfounding, sailmaking, and a large trade in timber are carried on. The ruin of Newark Castle is in the vicinity. Port Glasgow is one of the Kilmarnock Burghs, which return 1 member; its parliamentary limits were extended in 1885.

Port Glasgow through time

Port Glasgow is now part of Inverclyde district. Click here for graphs and data of how Inverclyde has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Port Glasgow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Glasgow, in Inverclyde and Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16797

Date accessed: 16th January 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Port Glasgow ".