Place:


Walmer  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walmer like this:

WALMER, a small town and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The town stands on the coast; consists of two parts,-Lower W., adjoining Deal,-Upper W., 1¾ mile S of Deal r. station; contains W. Castle, infantry barracks, cavalry barracks, a quondam naval hospital now marine barracks, and a house which was tenanted by the Duke of Wellington when Sir Arthur Wellesley; is a sea-bathing resort; and has post-offices of W.‡ and W.-Road‡ under Deal, two churches, a garrison school, and a national school. ...


W. Castle stands at nearly the south-eastern extremity of the parish; was built by Henry VIII. as a blockhouse; had the same form and design as the neighbouring and contemporaneous castles of Dealand Sandown; became soon the official residence of the Lord Wardens of the Cinque Ports; has been greatly altered from its original form; commands, from the windows of its principal apartments, a splendid sea-view; contains a small room in which W. Pitt, as Lord Warden, held frequent conferences with Lord Nelson; was the autumn residence of the Duke of Wellington, as Lord Warden, from 1829 till his death in 1852; contains the room, considerably altered, in which the Duke died; was visited, for 23 days, in Nov. 1842, by the Queen; and was occupied in 1848 by Earl Granville. The barracks were built in 1795; occupy an area of 22 acres, have accommodation for 1,100 infantry and a troop of horse; and, at the census of 1861, had 1,149 inmates. The naval hospital was originally constructed simply as an hospital, for 250 patients; was eonverted, after the Crimean war, into a barrack for marines; and, at the census of 1861, was untenanted. The parish church is partly Norman, and richly decorated; but includes a remarkable square addition of 1826. St. Saviour's church is a chapel of ease, built in 1849. The parish comprises 939 acres of land and 140 of water. Real property, £9,002. Pop. in 1851, 2,616; in 1861, 3,275. Houses, 434. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £240. Patron, the Archbishop of C.

Walmer through time

Walmer is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walmer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walmer, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/165

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walmer ".