Place:


Kilsyth  Stirlingshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kilsyth like this:

Kilsyth, town and par., S. Stirlingshire - par., 13,121 ac., pop. 6840; town, near river Kelvin and Forth and Clyde Canal, 12¾ miles NE. of Glasgow, 35 W. of Edinburgh, and 400 NW. of London by rail, pop. 5405; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Kilsyth dates from 1665; it was made a burgh of barony in 1826. ...


It has some weaving, but the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the neighbouring limestone and sandstone quarries, and coal and iron mines. The battle of Kilsyth, in which the Covenanters under Baillie were defeated with great slaughter by Montrose, was fought 15th August 1645. Remarkable religious revivals took place at Kilsyth in 1742 and 1839. A little N. of the town are the ruins of Kilsyth Castle, the old seat of the Viscounts Kilsyth; it was garrisoned against Cromwell in 1650. The Kilsyth Hills are a part of the Lennox range; they reach in Meikle Bin, 4 miles NW. of Kilsyth, an alt. of 1870 ft.

Kilsyth through time

Kilsyth is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilsyth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilsyth, in North Lanarkshire and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16494

Date accessed: 16th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilsyth ".