Place:


Whitbeck  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitbeck like this:

WHITBECK, a parish in Bootle district, Cumberland; on the coast, under Black Combe mountain, 1¾ mile N by W of Silecroft r. station, and 6½ WSW of Broughton-in-Furness. Post town, Broughton-in-Furness, under Ulverstone. Acres, 5,372; of which 172 are water. Real property, £2,093. ...


Pop., 213. Houses, 35. The property is much subdivided. Much of the land is moor and mountain. There are three Druidical circles. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £76.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is good; and there is an alms-house hospital, with £24 a year.

Whitbeck through time

Whitbeck is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitbeck itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitbeck, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1584

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitbeck ".