Over Peover  Cheshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Over Peover like this:

PEOVER (Over), a chapelry in Rostherne parish, Cheshire; on the river Peover. 2½ miles W S W of Chelford r. station, and 3½ S S E of Knutsford. It comprisesthe townships of Peover Superior, Marthall, and Snelson; and it has a post-office under Knutsford. Acres, 5,088. Real property, £9,055. ...

Pop., 942. Houses, 178. The property is subdivided. The manor of Peover Superior, with Peover Hall, belongs to Sir H. Mainwaring, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £180.* Patron, Sir H. Mainwaring, Bart. The church consists of nave, chancel, and two side chapels, with a tower; was mainly rebuilt in 1811; and containsmonuments of the Mainwarings. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £85.

Over Peover through time

Over Peover is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Over Peover itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Over Peover, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Over Peover ".