In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sunningdale like this:
SUNNINGDALE, a chapelry partly in Old Windsor, Egham, and Sunninghill parishes, Berks, and partly in Chobham and Windlesham parishes, Surrey; on the Staines and Reading railway, 8 miles SW by W of Staines. It was constituted in 1841; and it has a r. station with telegraph. Post town, Staines. Pop., 709. Houses, 148. Much of the land, with Cowarth House, belongs to J. A. Arbuthnot, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £90.* Patron, the Bishop of O. The church was built in 1839; and there are an Independent chapel of 1865, and an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sunningdale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Windsor and Maidenhead. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sunningdale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sunningdale, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sunningdale".