Place:


Seamer  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seamer like this:

SEAMER, a village, a township, and a parish, in Scarborough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of the junction of the York and Scarborough railway with the Hull and Scarborough railway, and 4 S S W of Scarborough; was the scene of an insurrection, by Roman Catholics, in 1548; and has a post-office under Scarborough, a station at the railway -junction, a cattle-market on the first Monday of every month, and a cattlefair on 15 July and the five following days. ...


The township comprises 4, 540 acres. Pop., 774. Houses, 132. The parish contains also the townships of Irton and East Ayton, and comprises 7, 760 acres. Real property, £8, 447. Pop., 1, 305. Houses, 237. The property almost entirely belongs to Lord Londesborough. S. mere was once a large lake, abounding in fish; but, at theformation of the railway, was reduced to a small pond. The living is a vicarage, united with Cayton, in the diocese of York. Value, £350.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church includes Norman portions, and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £15.

Seamer through time

Seamer is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seamer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seamer, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14191

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seamer ".