Place:


St Martin  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Martin like this:

MARTIN (ST.), an extra-parochial tract in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire; 1 mile S of Riclhmond. Pop., 53. Houses, 11. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Yorrk abbey, was fonnded here about 1100 by Wyomar of Aske.

St Martin through time

St Martin is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Martin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Martin, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14162

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Martin ".