In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swyre like this:
SWYRE, a parish in Bridport district, Dorset; on the coast, 5 miles ESE of Bridport r. station. Post town, Bridport. Acres, 1,146; of which 65 are water. Real property, £966. Pop., 277. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £140.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Swyre has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Swyre and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swyre in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swyre".