Place:


Great Ouseburn  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Ouseburn like this:

OUSEBURN (Great), a village, a township, a parish, and a district, in W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands1¼ mile W of the river Ouse, 4 N by W of Cattal r. station, and 5 S E of Boroughbridge; and has a post-office under York. The township comprises 840 acres. Real property, £2, 781. ...


Pop., 599. Houses, 123. The work-house of the district is here; is a plain brick building, with accommodation for about 100 persons; and, at the census of 1861, had 60 inmates. The parish contains also part of the township of Upper Dunsforth-cum-Branton-Green, with a pop. of 56. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to H. S. Thompson, Esq The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, W. F. Scholefield, Esq. The church is in mixed architecture and in good condition; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacled tower; and contains several mural monuments. A school for boys and girlswas erected by H. S. Thompson, Esq., in memory of his father; and is a handsome stone edifice, in the pointedstyle. Charities, £16. The district is a poor-law union, originally included in Knaresborough district; and it comprehends the sub-district of Boroughbridge, containing the parishes of Copgrove, Stavely, Marton-cum-Grafton, and Kirby-Hill, and the townships of Boroughbridge, Aldborough, Roecliffe, Minskip, Lower Dunsforth, Upper Dunsforth-cum-Branton-Green, Skelton, Westwick, Arkendale, Helperby, Thornton-Bridge, Ellenthorpe, and Norton-le-Clay, the four last, as also the parish of Kirby-Hill, electorally in N. R. Yorkshire; the sub-district of Whixley, containing the parishes of Little Ouseburn, Nun-Monkton, and Allerton-Mauleverer, and the townships of Great Ouseburn, Coneythorpe, Whixley, Green-Hammerton, Kirk-Hammerton, Youlton, and Tollerton, the two last electorally in N. R. Yorkshire; and the sub-district of Poppleton, containing the parishes of Monkton-Moor and Rufforth, the chapelry of Upper Poppleton, and the townships of Nether Poppleton, Acomb, Knapton, and Shipton, the last electorally in N. R. Yorkshire. Acres, 51, 808. Poor-rates in 1863, £5, 186. Pop. in 1851, 12, 167; in 1861, 11, 534. Houses, 2, 508. Marriages in 1863, 54; births, 351, of which 24 were illegitimate; deaths, 246, of which 66 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. The other statistics are returned with Knaresborough district.

Great Ouseburn through time

Great Ouseburn is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Ouseburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Ouseburn, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13866

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Ouseburn ".