In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pilson like this:
PILSDON, or Pillesdon, a parish in Beaminster district, Dorset; under Pillesdon Hill, 4½ miles W S W of Beaminster, and 6 S S W of Crewkerne r. station. Post-town, Beaminster, under Brid port. Acres, 648. Real property, with Bettiscombe, £1, 796. Rated property of P. alone, £767. Pop., 86. Houses, 21. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £104. Patron, Mrs. Bowers. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1830.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pilson has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pilson and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pilson in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pilson".