In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melbury Bubb like this:
MELBURY-BUBB, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; under Bubb-Down, 1¾ mile N by E of Eversholt r. station, and 5¼ NW of Cerne-Abbas. It contains the tything of Woolcombe; and its Post town is Sherborne. Acres, 1,227. Rated property, £1,399. Pop., 136. Houses, 28. The property is divided between two. Bubb-Down is a conspicuous landmark; was formerly a beacon-station; and commands a very extensive and beautiful view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £222.* Patron, the Earl of Inchester. The church was rebuilt in 1854, and retains the tower of a previous edifice. There was formerly a chapel at Woolcombe.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Melbury Bubb has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Melbury Bubb and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melbury Bubb in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Melbury Bubb".