In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainby like this:
STAINBY, a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln; 2 miles SW of Colsterworth, and 5 ½ WSW of Corby r. station. Post town, Colsterworth, under Grantham. Acres, 1,550. Real property, £2,272. Pop., 168. Houses, 36. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dysart. Remains of a Roman villa were discovered some years ago. The living is a rectory, united with Gunby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £466.* Patron, the Rev. Bennet Sherard Kennedy. The church was rebuilt and restored in the decorated style, with the exception of the N aisle, in 1865, when a spire was added to the tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stainby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Kesteven. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stainby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainby, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stainby".