In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fontmell Magna like this:
FONTMELL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Shaftesbury district, Dorset. The village stands 4 miles S of Shaftesbury, and 4 N by E of Shillingstone r. station; and has a post office under Salisbury. The parish includes also the tythings of Bedcester and Hartgrove; and bears the name of Fontmell Magna. Acres, 2, 853. Real property, with Compton Abbas, £4, 796. Rated property of F. alone, £3, 338. Pop., 875. Houses, 189. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory and a vicarage, united with the p. ...
curacy of West Orchard, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £440. Patron, George Carr Glyn, Esq. The church was built in 1864, on the site of a previous edifice; is in the later English style, after designs by Mr. Evans; and is richly ornamented. There is a Wesleyan chapel. -The sub-district contains nine parishes. Acres, 14, 944. Pop., 3, 358. Houses, 745.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fontmell Magna has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fontmell Magna and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fontmell Magna in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fontmell Magna".