In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Abbas like this:
COMPTON-ABBAS, a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset; 2¾ miles S by E of Shaftesbury, and 5¼ S of Semley r. station. It includes Twyford hamlet; and its post town is Shaftesbury, under Salisbury-Acres, 1, 516. Real property, with Fontmell-Magna, £4, 796. Pop., 456. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Shaftesbury Abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £267.* Patron, Sir R.Glyn, Bart. The church is old and tolerable.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Compton Abbas has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Compton Abbas and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Abbas in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Compton Abbas".