In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chaldon Herring like this:
CHALDON-HERRING, or East Chaldon, a parish in Wareham district, Dorset; near the coast, 3¾ miles S of Moreton r. station, and 9½ WSW of Wareham. Post Town, Winfrith, under Dorchester. Acres, 2,981. Real property, with Chaldon-Boys and Holworth, £3,285. Pop., 341. Houses, 63. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £62. Patron, Joseph Weld, Esq. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chaldon Herring has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chaldon Herring and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chaldon Herring, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chaldon Herring".