Place:


Rothwell  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rothwell like this:

ROTHWELL, a parish, with a village, in Caistor district, Lincoln; 2½ miles S E of Caistor, and 4 E N E of Moortown r. station. Post-town, Caistor. Acres, 2, 690. Real property, £3, 128. Pop., 267. Houses, 49. The manor belongs to the Earl of Yarborough. The parish is a meet for the Laceby hounds. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Earl of Yarborough. The church is chiefly early English; has nine rich Norman arches in the nave; has alsoa tower, originally Saxon; and was repaired and enlarged in 1849. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.

Rothwell through time

Rothwell is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rothwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rothwell, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13507

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rothwell ".